A person will still need to apply for a GRC via a form and a Statutory declaration done via a solicitor, and they will need to supply proof that are living in their acquired gender too, by way of providing a deed poll name change and proof that the deed poll has been actioned ( driving licence/passport, bank statement etc, all showing the name change)

The GRA allows a transgender person to obtain a gender recognition certificate (GRC), currently it is a long winded, costly medicalised process and requires the person to have lived in their acquired gender for at least 2 years.

UK Legislation is currently the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

​This is due to be reformed in 2018, but what is it? And what does it do?

The 2004 Act is out of date, the proposed changes are to allow a person to 'self-declare' their gender and remove the medical side of the process

Once a person has been granted a GRC, they can have their birth certificate changed to reflect this, and various Governmental forms too, mainly the department of work and pensions.

Lisa Kelly

Transgender/LGBT activist
AGE: 49
EMAIL: akakelly69da@gmail.com

​What it does not do...

Of course there is more to it than this, but i would need a few pages to go into detail, these are just the main talking points. 

For further information please don't hesitate to contact me.

The Gender Recognition Act does not give anyone permission to enter which ever toilets they want to... There is no legislation covering the use of toilets in the UK, which means anyone can legally enter which ever toilets they want to enter.​

It also does not mean a person can use the 'self-dec' system to be 'John' during the week and 'Jane' at weekends.

​So why change it? And what do the changes entail?